The Blue Pen

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Well, I wanted to post but...

... I couldn't think of anything to say.

So, I decided to make this a nonsense post (as if that's unusual in the world of blogging).

I've been watching InuYasha lately. Once I accepted the fact that it's meant for young boys, it became a fun show to watch. The last anime I saw was the Cowboy Bebop movie: very entertaining, very grown-up subject matter. InuYasha has a lot more humor and is... well, a "feudal fairy tale". It also has one of the coolest villains I've ever heard of: Naraku. Just the idea of a villain creating himself is neat, let alone how they show him in the anime.

My absolute favorite character, though, is Sesshoumaru. He's. Too. Cool. ^__^

I also have to say that the dialogue is well done most of the time, at least in the episodes I've seen. At times it's a bit too childish and on occasion it can be annoying, but I remember the target audience and then it's not so bad. This is the dubbed version I'm talking about. I've only seen one episode with subtitles and, in my opinion, it improved the dialogue.

Ah! I have a point now. :)

I rarely enjoy watching foreign films because of the language factor. It began with French. Le Placard (a very funny film btw) has a scene where the main character is being asked to join a gay pride parade since his company will have a float in said parade. Part of the "sell" includes a t-shirt with the phrase "sortez couvert!" printed on it. I happened to be watching this film with Mr. Metallic Vinca, who just happens to know a fair amount of French. He paused the film, trying to figure out a good translation because he said the subtitles didn't really capture the pun in the film.

The original translation was fairly long and sounded like something out of Babelfish. I liked Mr. Vinca's much better.

His translation? "Come out covered!"

Hooky. Catchy. Short. Perfect.

The subtitles didn't make me laugh in that scene. Mr. Vinca did.

A few years later, I watched Cyrano de Bergerac and realized that Cyrano usually speaks in metered verse. It doesn't come across in the subtitles due to the translation. The only reason I figured that out is because I had learned just enough French that I felt comfortable ignoring the subtitles.

Back to InuYasha.

There are times in the series where I feel a concept isn't quite getting across through the language. I've felt that several times with anime in general. So, what do I do? Do I suffer through a third party's interpretation of what's being said? Or do I learn Japanese, a language that others have said is extremely difficult to learn? I've taken a little Spanish (most of it forgotten now), a little French and I know a few words in German. That's it. Japanese intimidates me.

I tell ya though... realizing just how good anime can be makes learning Japanese mighty tempting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home